This week WCW is J. K. Rowling. If you don’t know who she is you must be living under a rock. As the writer behind the Harry Potter books and Fantastic Beasts and where you can find them, she is world known. But how many people now all the reasons that she is a role model? Here are 10 of my reasons why she is my role model:
- She worked up from nothing to being, like I wrote earlier, world known. I think most people know that she was living on welfare before she became famous. When she wrote Harry Potter, she was depressed and a single mom.
- She never gave up on her dreams, even though many publishers rejected her Harry Potter books. She just kept going.
- She stands up for what she believes in. Just look at her twitter.
- She never forgets her fans. Always having a dialogue with them on Twitter. Or writing on Pottermore.
- She is the first author in the world to have a net worth of 1 billion, that she then lost when she donated money to charity.
- She founded a charity that helps orphans to find homes and she named it after the light giving spell from Harry Potter, Lumos.
- She doesn’t romanticise the bad guy in her books. Just look at Draco Malfoy. J.K. Rowling has been very clear to her fans that he does not have a heart of gold an that he will not become friends with Harry in the end. He is one of the bad guys.
- Her female characters are strong women who stand up for themselves. And they have strong opinions and they are independent. Just look at Hermione, McGonagall, Mrs Weasley, Ginny, Tina, Queenie and so many more of the female characters from her books.
- J.K. Rowling is also a big inspiration to millions of people because of the books she has written. The books are amazing and filled with so many wonderful lessons that we need. And they help inspire people to read and to go out in the world an make a difference.
- She is an advocate for LGBT rights. She said that Dumbledore was gay.
Some of my favourite quotes of J.K Rowling:
“Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.”
“If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
“It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.”
What’s your favourite thing that J. K. Rowling has written or said?